Skip to main content

Change


Things are strange around here. It has been unseasonably warm. I knew that we'd have some warm days this spring, and I had in mind to touch up the paint on my shed, and some other non-plant garden and yard items when we had these days. However, I haven't been able to get to those things. We've had a lot of stuff going on at our house; primarily, my sister is moving in with us. She's single, still a bit more portable than the rest of us, and thought it would be a good time to take a break from rent while she looks for something to buy. She is going to be staying in what has been my craft room / guest room. I don't really have any good place to put all my stuff, but she deserves a room to herself, right? So I was forced to take a long look at all the projects I have started and not finished, as I took out one stack at a time. And they aren't all quilting projects; I have beads and scrapbooking stuff, painting, and so on. I am actually looking forward to getting it all organized and hopefully having some finished projects by the end of the year. I would love to be giving handmade gifts for Christmas, and depleting my pile of things to finish at the same time... We'll see.

Of course, my sister moving in with us is a big change, but that was not really the change I was thinking of when I titled my post. I have long wanted a new dishwasher, and now that I have it... Is it buyer's remorse, or is it really not living up to my expectations? My neighbor helped me put in the new dishwasher because, well, he offered, and I wanted to surprise BFJ. I didn't anticipate the installation leak, and then the old-pipes-being-turned-on-and-off leak, that required a different neighbor to come over with his acetylene torch. Then I had to switch phone/internet/cable providers. I was compelled by my disgust with the rate hikes of the old service provider; their rates have just about double - in two years! And I just hate change. I love new stuff, but I hate change. I kind of pined for my old, dirty, banged up dishwasher. But as it turns out, the new one really IS quieter. But now where do my big bowls fit?

Ironically, I love to rearrange the furniture. I think this is the only place I've ever lived where I just can't figure out where the furniture goes. Since we have Moving Day today, I thought I would do a little rearrangement so that it would be easier to get stuff in, and actually, it feels nice and fresh now.

Oh, let's talk some baseball: why do we keep losing our decent pitchers? I hope Cook can stay on top of things this year, and I would love to see Jason Hirsch make a comeback. He signed a baseball for me for one of my little friends. And he was a good pitcher :P back when he was on the active roster. While we are at it, let me just say that we here at ShortStoryLong were not too sad to see Holliday go. I know he had a great BA, but it was never in play at any of the games we've been to, and we could have used a little more running and a little less jogging in the outfield. I'm going to refrain from repeating what BFJ calls him.

About the weather, I would really be enjoying the break from the cold, only it's not a break. It just hasn't been cold. And I know we need snow and moisture for our dry little state. Even though I'm not looking forward to it, I hope it snows.

On the bright side of life, life is actually really good. I hear snow is coming this weekend. Oh, I have a new little cousin, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

reasons I knit

I haven't posted a lot of knitting on here in the last few years.  Not much to say about it but I still knit.   I knit because I love to create. I knit because I love sweaters. I knit because I grew up with a mom who is artistic beyond the acknowledgement she receives, and it's in my blood to do something creative. I knit because I love the good things God grows, like sheep and wool and muskox and cotton. I knit because I love colors. I knit because my boys wear what I knit. I knit because I like the rhythm. I knit because it has a beginning and an end, and they are achievable.  I knit because when my hands are busy, my mouth slows down, and it gives my brain a chance to make better decisions. I knit because I'm really, really good at it, and it's one of the few things that others acknowledge, and we all need that. I knit because I love to knit. I'm working on a colorful shawl in alpaca. 

modular knitting

On the plus side, modular knitting gives one interesting options for colorwork and color blocking.  Sometimes the dye process can give the yarn its own commentary, like this changing of scales. However, there are often many more ends to weave in.  This one is not too bad, but there's at least four ends on every row - 14 rows.  Still, interesting to try something new! Details on my Ravelry page , if you are interested!!  Have you tried modular knitting?  Thumbs up or down??

getting through winter

As classes of all sorts get scheduled, rescheduled and postponed due to weather, and with the short days with less light, I often find January and February to be a forced pause.  Years like this convince me that I should get good at reading rain gauges and keeping track of the temperature.  It seems like we've had an usual amount of snow.  That should be good for our snow pack and seasonal runoff to fill creeks, lakes, basins, but we'll see what the spring brings.  In the meantime, I have been trying to tick off indoor chores and projects, and working on garden things.   We have started a handful of seedlings:  basil, foxgloves, verbascum, lavender, rosemary, onions and something new to us, naranjilla .  We have varying levels of success.  The naranjilla did take a long time to germinate; I think we used 11 seeds, and we currently have five seedlings, some a couple weeks older than others!  We're still 12-14 weeks out from planting and I really had my hands full last year -